Today, Oct 17th 2021

Change text size A A A

Loading slideshow
WA Truckies Deserve Better
Transport Workers have spoken. WA truck bays, amenities and WA highways need an upgrade! You can sign the petition and show your support:&...
Incentive program
This is your opportunity to be incentivised for signing up an eligible member to the TWU. Simp...
TWU Veterans Supporting Road Safety Education
Veterans of the trucking industry have recently been visiting schools to promote road safety me...
2020 Membership
Be a part of your great union in 2020. Renew your membership today Membership Fees 2020 (all...
Glen Barron’s Aviation Report
They say a picture is worth 1000 words and if the looks on the faces of our members at Alpha Fl...
Legally Right?...Maybe
Toll Liquid drivers who work on a rotating shift roster are protesting loudly about the firm&rs...
The TWU has reached agreement with Hanson Construction Materials on behalf of a group of Rocla ...
It was my pleasure to represent Greg Newman in an unfair dismissal matter earlier this year, G...
The TWU was recently successful in a long running case to recover long service leave entitlemen...
Cleanaway Alcohol Testing
The TWU fully understands the need for drug and alcohol policies in the workplace ;mind alterin...
Prosegur Breaching Agreement
Our Prosegur Agreement expired in June last year and the last pay boost for the armoured vehicl...
For the past 22 years I have been lucky enough to call WA my home; my adult daughter, I am prou...
A custody officer, and TWU member, who was injured by a suicidal prisoner has settled her worke...

News headings from LabourStart

The day all hell broke loose

« Back to News Articles The day all hell broke loose

I was down at Welshpool depot, sorting out issues between the company and our members, when a call came through that all hell had broken loose at the BUSPORT!!!!

Holy crap!!!! There were managers running around everywhere. They were on the phone to whoever, then talking to the traffic controller and back on the phone again.

So I got out of there quick-smart and raced to the Bus port. When I got there it was chaos, people everywhere watching the fire fighters as they finished putting out the blaze.

I couldn't believe that the place hadn't been evacuated. People could walk wherever they wanted to. I was amazed at the lack of emergency procedures.

The first thing I did was go looking for the driver of the bus which by now was a charred skeleton.

I found him well away from the burnt out bus and asked what had happened. He told me there had been a coolant leak. So when he got to the bus port he switched the engine off and went to check on the leak.

He saw that the leak was coming from the bottom of the header tank but there was no fire at this time. The driver said he then went back to the cab of the bus to report the coolant leak to the depot.

While doing this he noticed a smell of smoke and the fire light flashing on the dash.

He then went back to the engine bay, and seeing a fire had started, began evacuation procedures.

I must point out that at no time did the driver do anything wrong. He did what any other driver would do.

I found out later that the fire & smoke alarms of the bus port didn’t go off until about 10 minutes later.

There were not enough people to sufficiently evacuate the whole of the bus port.

No one seems to know the evacuation procedures, let alone where the muster points are. These should be mandatory in such occurrences.

I ask this question: What would happen if this occurred in the new underground bus port? Things could be a lot worse. We were just lucky this time. Next time we may not!!

Next time we might be dealing with a holocaust!